Tuesday, January 22, 2013

On the Drawing Desk: Commissions

One thing that is in my goals for this year is to restart doing commissions and doing art for people. I would like to get the commissions I have already have on my desk completed and start getting them out to people, as well. The last few years have been a huge challenge, to the point of almost giving up being an artist all together.

I reached such a low that I wanted to walk away from art completely and change my whole approach to living. It is easy to self destruct when it feels like everything is falling apart around you. A person will start making personal choices they will regret later.

 I am learning though that more than anything it is important to be myself in my art, even if the work is going to be for someone else. My mentor Dan Haskett once told me that he tried to put his emotions into everything he was creating including the things he did for the companies he was working for. At the end of the day he was still able to express himself in the work he was producing for other.

Its the only way to keep sanity and continue to love what is being done. I know I have been focusing on doing caricature a lot the last 6 months or so, but this is also about finding love in being an artist regardless of what I draw. This is about reclaiming what I thought was lost and learning to express myself again through my art, no matter what the subject matter.



In fact one of the reason I always loved drawing pinups was cause I was expressing myself as a women through them. but at some point that stopped being true in my opinion. Eventually i felt I was drawing what I thought people wanted to see and not really expressing myself anymore. Personally i think it shows.

So just give me a little time and I will be back in full swing on everything.


Sorry about the quality of these. I would have preferred to scan them but my scanner is not working so I took a few pics.

Arie's Sketch Dump