Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Going Back to Caricature



I think one of the things many of us as artists forget is just how many resources we have at our disposal when it comes to drawing and financing Out career and life. The most important thing we do in this field is creating work that touches other peoples lives and nothing does that more than the art of caricature.

Peoples faces light up when they see themselves drawn as a cartoon. It makes them laugh and even sometimes makes them cry. I will never forget how when I worked at Worlds of Fun my first year a beautiful chunky chick sat in my chair and I made her look so cute. When she say the finish she got so happy and excited that she gave me the biggest hug. It really brightened her day.

Since that day I have had other experiences, good and bad, as well, but that one I always remember.

Yesterday I met with my amazing friend Tom. He is a caricature artist and also does many other forms of art, as well. It was such a blessing to get to spend a few hours with him talking about the state of the world and what it is we really provide as creators when our work is released into the hands of many others.

I need to get back to my roots and rediscover the blessing of caricature.

~Arie

P.S. it can also provide ya with a good way to pay the bills too. lol!











Arie's Sketch Dump