Thursday, August 27, 2009

Open Mic Night


It has been a crazy week. I have had a hard time getting to the drawing desk because I have been trying to prepare for Mo-Kan. I bought some things to just try out like I want to make some cute little earrings and stuff with my art on them.

I also been getting in contact with some local comic shops and making some connections that way. I want to be able to sell my books in the shops once they are ready to go. I am still working on raising money for conventions, as well. If you haven't already you should check out my eBay auctions. There is about 2 days left.

I also have prints available on eBay now. I started doing sketch card prints. This is the card i have available right now. Once I sell enough I will choose some other things to get sketch card prints of and get them up there, but this is it for now because I am experimenting.







Slave Princess Leia Sketch Card Print


While I was at one comic store I talked to some people that said they had an Open Mic Night next door so last night I stopped by and they even asked me to single. So I did "If I Ain’t Got You" by Alicia Keys with no music.

I was so nervous because I have never done it before. I feel like if there is one thing I need to get rid of it is my lingering shyness from childhood. I was telling some of the guys, "you know I feel like sometimes I get so nervous when I have to put myself out there and talk to people and I know it comes from when I was a kid". Even at comic Shows I find myself uncomfortable, but I want to get my work out there you know. I really feel like I want to concur those emotions.

I have always been painfully shy. It was even worse in high school. I could barely talk to my fellow classmates without falling apart unless I knew them really well. It is a huge hurdle to jump over. When I started college and was doing caricature at amusement parks where I had to be forced to talk to people walking by and get them to sit down so I could draw them and I had to let them know I was there it started to break up some of that fear but from time to time it is like that way of thinking creeps back into me.

I have always loved to sing and I want to sing on stage but I have stage fright like a Mo Fo. I don't want to let that get me down anymore, because that represents this deeper fear of other people that continues to linger.

God Bless,
Arie

Arie's Sketch Dump